What is a healthy gastrointestinal system?

The gastrointestinal system, often referred to as the GI system or digestive system, breaks down the food we eat, absorbs nutrients, and expels waste. The GI system includes the mouth, esophagus, stomach, large intestines, small intestines, rectum, anus, gallbladder, pancreas, and liver. The digestive tract is the long tube that starts at the mouth and ends at the anus, and is comprised of the esophagus, stomach, large and small intestines, and rectum. The gallbladder, pancreas, and liver lie outside the digestive tract, but serve crucial functions in the processing of food. For the GI system to successfully perform its job, all of the organs involved in the digestive process must work effectively and in harmony with each other.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Do I Have Celiac Disease, Gluten Sensitivity, or a Wheat Allergy?
Odds are, someone you know has gone gluten-free. Perhaps they’re trying to drop some pounds, or they simply believe it’s healthier for them. Or, maybe...
Are there over-the-counter medications for an obstetric fistula?
There are no over-the-counter medications to completely treat an obstetric fistula. Obstetric fi...
What are the various products that contain lactose?
Milk and milk products are often added to processed foods-foods that have been altered to prolong th...
Is GERD the Same Thing As Heartburn?
Is GERD the Same Thing As Heartburn?