What happens before an upper endoscopy?

After you check in for an upper endoscopy (a medical procedure to visually examine the esophagus, the stomach, and part of the duodenum), a nurse will meet with you to review your medical conditions and medications. An intravenous (IV) line will be placed in a vein in your arm. You will proceed to the procedure room, where your blood pressure, pulse, and oxygen level will be carefully monitored. A sedative also will be administered through your IV. You will soon feel drowsy, and while some people fall asleep, others remain awake during the procedure. The test itself usually takes less than an hour.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Do I Have Celiac Disease, Gluten Sensitivity, or a Wheat Allergy?
Odds are, someone you know has gone gluten-free. Perhaps they’re trying to drop some pounds, or they simply believe it’s healthier for them. Or, maybe...
What are symptoms of leaky gut syndrome?
Leopold D. Galland, MDLeopold D. Galland, MD
You should suspect Leaky Gut Syndrome if you have:pain in multiple jointsa chronic skin conditionc...
What should I know about dietary fiber to help prevent digestive diseases?
The recommended amount of dietary fiber is 20-35 grams per day from various sources. You should incl...
What Increases My Risk for Digestive Diseases?