What happens after an upper endoscopy?

After your upper endoscopy, you will be monitored until most of the effects of the medication have worn off. Your throat might be a little sore, and you might feel bloated because of the air introduced into your stomach during the test. You will be able to eat after you leave unless your doctor instructs you otherwise. Your physician will explain the results of the examination to you, although you'll probably have to wait for the results of any biopsies performed. If you have been given sedatives during the procedure, someone must drive you home and stay with you. Even if you feel alert after the procedure, your judgment and reflexes could be impaired for the rest of the day. 

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Good News About Difficult Colon Polyps
Good News About Difficult Colon Polyps
Every year tens of thousands of people face serious colon surgery to remove big polyps before they can morph into colon cancer. Many have part of thei...
What are symptoms of aerophagia?
Lawrence S. Friedman, MDLawrence S. Friedman, MD
According to the Rome III criteria (diagnostic criteria for all functional gastrointestinal (GI) dis...
Why do I feel fatigue and confusion when I use my G-tube?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
The gastrostomy tube (G-tube) is a type of feeding tube insertion in which a tube passes through the...
What Are the Treatment Options for Digestive Diseases?