What is a gastrostomy tube for neonates?

A gastrostomy tube or g-tube is a feeding tube that is placed directly to the infant’s stomach. The surgeon inserts the tube through a small opening in the abdomen directly into the stomach or gastric cavity. The tube remains in place until it is removed by the healthcare provider.

While one end of the remains in the stomach, the other end extend out of the abdomen. A gastrostomy tube can be used to give feeding to a baby who is unable to take oral feedings. Medications and fluids may also be given through the tube. The parents or other caregivers can be taught how to care for the g-tube and how to use it to feed the infant.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Do I Have Celiac Disease, Gluten Sensitivity, or a Wheat Allergy?
Odds are, someone you know has gone gluten-free. Perhaps they’re trying to drop some pounds, or they simply believe it’s healthier for them. Or, maybe...
How do other illnesses affect digestive diseases?
Cancers can cause internal bleeding, intestinal obstruction, constipation, and lack of appetite. Tub...
Does getting an obstetric fistula run in families?
Just because your mother had an obstetric fistula does not increase your risk for getting one. Y...
What Are the Symptoms of an Unhealthy Gastrointestinal System?