What is a gastrostomy tube for neonates?

A gastrostomy tube or g-tube is a feeding tube that is placed directly to the infant’s stomach. The surgeon inserts the tube through a small opening in the abdomen directly into the stomach or gastric cavity. The tube remains in place until it is removed by the healthcare provider.

While one end of the remains in the stomach, the other end extend out of the abdomen. A gastrostomy tube can be used to give feeding to a baby who is unable to take oral feedings. Medications and fluids may also be given through the tube. The parents or other caregivers can be taught how to care for the g-tube and how to use it to feed the infant.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Constipated? Always Going? Signs Your Digestion Isn't Normal
Everyone's digestion is a bit different, but there are some universal indicators of a healthy system—and an unhealthy one. First, let’s review the ba...
What is functional dyspepsia (FD)?
Lawrence S. Friedman, MDLawrence S. Friedman, MD
The term functional dyspepsia (FD) is used to describe persistent upper abdominal pain or discomfort...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with an obstetric fistula?
Caring for someone with an obstetric fistula requires thoughtfulness and great support. Make sure th...
What Increases My Risk for Digestive Diseases?