What is functional dyspepsia (FD)?

Lawrence S. Friedman, MD
Gastroenterology
The term functional dyspepsia (FD) is used to describe persistent upper abdominal pain or discomfort for which there is no identifiable cause, such as peptic ulcer disease. Symptoms are often triggered by eating but no physical or anatomical cause can be found. Because peptic ulcer disease produces similar symptoms, functional dyspepsia is sometimes called nonulcer dyspepsia.

In most cases, the uncomfortable upper abdominal symptoms appear after eating, but there's no difficulty in swallowing. Sometimes the discomfort begins during the meal, sometimes about half an hour later. It tends to come and go in spurts.

This condition affects about a quarter of the population -- twice as many as have peptic ulcer disease -- and it hits men and women equally. It's responsible for a significant percentage of visits to primary care doctors. Many people suspect they're suffering from ulcers, but are found not to be. The cause of FD is unknown. Even more frustrating, there's no surefire cure.

The first question on most people's minds is "Do I have an ulcer?" It's not an unreasonable question, considering that up to 10% of Americans develop a peptic ulcer at some time in their lives. And it's important to answer it quickly. Ulcers can have serious complications, while FD generally does not. Ulcers can be treated with medications, while in most cases medications don't do much to remedy FD.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Do I Have Celiac Disease, Gluten Sensitivity, or a Wheat Allergy?
Odds are, someone you know has gone gluten-free. Perhaps they’re trying to drop some pounds, or they simply believe it’s healthier for them. Or, maybe...
What increases my risk for an obstetric fistula?
Your risk for an obstetric fistula is increased if you experience childbearing difficulty and do not...
What is functional rectal pain syndrome?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
There are two functional rectal pain syndromes. The first and most common one is called proctalgia f...
Is GERD the Same Thing As Heartburn?
Is GERD the Same Thing As Heartburn?