What should I do if I am lactose intolerant?

If you are lactose intolerant you will need to avoid or eat less of foods that have lactose in them.

Lactose is in milk (including raw milk) and all foods made with milk. It is also added to some of the following boxed, canned, frozen, and prepared foods:

• Breads
  • Cereals
  • Non-kosher lunch meats
  • Salad dressings
  • Mixes for cakes, cookies, pancakes, and biscuits
  • Frozen dinners

Learn to read food labels carefully. Look for milk and lactose in the list of ingredients. You must also look for words like whey, curds, milk by-products, milk derivatives, dried milk, milk solids, and powdered milk. If any of these words are listed on a label, the product contains lactose. Products with caseinate as an ingredient may have low levels of lactose.

Dietary supplements and food products with lactase enzyme claim to help with digesting lactose; ask your doctor if they may be right for you.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Good News About Difficult Colon Polyps
Good News About Difficult Colon Polyps
Every year tens of thousands of people face serious colon surgery to remove big polyps before they can morph into colon cancer. Many have part of thei...
What digestive disorders can cause chest pain?
HCA Houston Healthcare PearlandHCA Houston Healthcare Pearland
Digestive disorders that can cause chest pain include: Heartburn - This painful, burning sensatio...
What causes an obstetric fistula?
The main cause for an obstetric fistula is prolonged childbearing difficulty, which softens and may ...
What Increases My Risk for Digestive Diseases?