What should I do if I am lactose intolerant?

If you are lactose intolerant you will need to avoid or eat less of foods that have lactose in them.

Lactose is in milk (including raw milk) and all foods made with milk. It is also added to some of the following boxed, canned, frozen, and prepared foods:

• Breads
  • Cereals
  • Non-kosher lunch meats
  • Salad dressings
  • Mixes for cakes, cookies, pancakes, and biscuits
  • Frozen dinners

Learn to read food labels carefully. Look for milk and lactose in the list of ingredients. You must also look for words like whey, curds, milk by-products, milk derivatives, dried milk, milk solids, and powdered milk. If any of these words are listed on a label, the product contains lactose. Products with caseinate as an ingredient may have low levels of lactose.

Dietary supplements and food products with lactase enzyme claim to help with digesting lactose; ask your doctor if they may be right for you.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Digestive Diseases

Digestive diseases, also known as gastrointestinal diseases, are disorders that affect your esophagus, stomach and small and large intestines. The symptoms of digestive diseases vary widely depending on which part of your digestiv...

e system is affected. Generally symptoms can be blood in your stool, a change in bowel habits, pain, weight loss or heartburn that is not relieved by antacids. See you doctor if you have any of these signs of digestive disease.