What causes an obstetric fistula?

The main cause for an obstetric fistula is prolonged childbearing difficulty, which softens and may kill the tissues between the vagina and the rectum. When an obstruction occurs during delivery, medical intervention, such as a caesarean section, is not delivered in time. Obstetric fistulas are more common in developing countries such as in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa, where poverty and undernourishment are more of a prevalent problem than in more developed countries. Obstetric fistulas can also develop in girls who have an underdeveloped pelvis and skeletal system due to poverty and lack of nourishment, and in those who would be considered too young to have children in more developed nations.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Constipated? Always Going? Signs Your Digestion Isn't Normal
Everyone's digestion is a bit different, but there are some universal indicators of a healthy system—and an unhealthy one. First, let’s review the ba...
How are gastrointestinal tract birth defects treated?
Most often, gastrointestinal tract birth defects are treated through surgery. A hole may be closed o...
How can I protect my children from digestive diseases?
One of the most important ways to protect children from digestive and other diseases is to teach the...
What Are the Symptoms of an Unhealthy Gastrointestinal System?