What do I need to know about caring for someone with stomach flu?

To care for someone with stomach flu it is important to watch for signs of and to avoid dehydration. You must let the stomach rest while also making certain to replenish the fluids lost through vomiting and diarrhea. Try giving small sips of water or other clear liquids, or offer ice cubes to slowly replenish liquids without overburdening the stomach. Beverages with caffeine or alcohol should be avoided, as should fatty or sugary foods and dairy products. Offer small children rehydration solutions like Pedialyte and introduce the BRAT diet, which consists of bananas, rice, apples and toast. Do not give a child an antidiarrheal medication without the doctor's consent. Remember, the person will need rest during recovery.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Do I Have Celiac Disease, Gluten Sensitivity, or a Wheat Allergy?
Odds are, someone you know has gone gluten-free. Perhaps they’re trying to drop some pounds, or they simply believe it’s healthier for them. Or, maybe...
What should I know about dietary fiber to help prevent digestive diseases?
The recommended amount of dietary fiber is 20-35 grams per day from various sources. You should incl...
How can I manage gastrointestinal tract birth defects on a daily basis?
Gastrointestinal tract birth defects should be brought to a doctor's notice immediately and not mana...
What Are the Treatment Options for Digestive Diseases?