What are the causes of a mobile mass in my stomach?

Unfortunately, there are many potential causes of a mass in the abdominal area.  In some cases, a benign fatty tumor (lipoma) under the skin can be the cause.  In other cases, a hernia, caused by a weakened area in the abdominal wall, can cause a mass, especially when a person strains or coughs or sneezes, or when a person is sitting or standing upright.  Finally, tumors within the abdominal wall, or even within the abdominal cavity, can present as a mass.  As with masses anywhere in the body, abdominal masses can be either benign or malignant (cancer).

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Do I Have Celiac Disease, Gluten Sensitivity, or a Wheat Allergy?
Odds are, someone you know has gone gluten-free. Perhaps they’re trying to drop some pounds, or they simply believe it’s healthier for them. Or, maybe...
What causes digestive diseases?
Many different factors cause digestive diseases. Some common causes are bacterial infection, viral i...
What is aerophagia?
Robynne K. Chutkan, MDRobynne K. Chutkan, MD
Aerophagia refers to air swallowing, which is one of the most common causes of bloating. In this vid...
Is GERD the Same Thing As Heartburn?
Is GERD the Same Thing As Heartburn?