Should I take antibiotics for stomach flu?

Stomach flu, or viral gastroenteritis, is a viral infection that will not respond to antibiotics. The symptoms of stomach flu are common to many other illnesses, including bacterial and parasitic gastroenteritis. Antibiotics can only treat bacterial infections so taking them for any other illness will not help, and may do harm.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Constipated? Always Going? Signs Your Digestion Isn't Normal
Everyone's digestion is a bit different, but there are some universal indicators of a healthy system—and an unhealthy one. First, let’s review the ba...
What are the causes of a mobile mass in my stomach?
Robert A. Wascher, MDRobert A. Wascher, MD
Unfortunately, there are many potential causes of a mass in the abdominal area.  In some cases, a be...
What is aerophagia?
Robynne K. Chutkan, MDRobynne K. Chutkan, MD
Aerophagia refers to air swallowing, which is one of the most common causes of bloating. In this vid...
Is GERD the Same Thing As Heartburn?
Is GERD the Same Thing As Heartburn?