Is an obstetric fistula serious for young girls?

Laura Corio, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

An obstetric fistula is very serious for a young girl. Thank goodness, in the united states we do not see obstetrical fistulas but rather urogenital tract fistulas from gynecologic injuries. Fistulas between the urinary tract and the vagina will allow leakage of urine from the vagina. This can cause recurrent infections and irritation to the vulva skin. If this occurs, it needs to be taken care of quickly.

Obstetric fistulas are a serious condition for young girls. Young girls in developing countries - especially countries in Africa and Asia - are more prone to this condition because of an underdeveloped pelvis and skeletal system. This underdevelopment may be a result of malnutrition. These young girls are usually prevented from attending school, participating in activities, and having a normal life. It is important to give support and encouragement to young girls with this condition.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Constipated? Always Going? Signs Your Digestion Isn't Normal
Everyone's digestion is a bit different, but there are some universal indicators of a healthy system—and an unhealthy one. First, let’s review the ba...
What can I do to minimize odor if I have an obstetric fistula?
If you have obstetric fistula, you should not wear tight-fitting clothing, as it can make your condi...
How do I manage my obstetric fistula on a daily basis?
The first thing that you should do to manage obstetric fistula is to see your doctor immediately if ...
What Are the Treatment Options for Digestive Diseases?