Is stomach flu serious?

Stomach flu is usually not serious but can be more dangerous if you are unable to replenish the fluids and electrolytes that get depleted through vomiting and diarrhea. Stomach flu is a very serious condition in developing countries where contaminated food and water are more common. For most healthy children and adults in the United States, there are few complications from stomach flu. But the stomach flu can be more serious for those with weakened immune systems, infants, young children, and the elderly, who are more susceptible to dehydration.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Good News About Difficult Colon Polyps
Good News About Difficult Colon Polyps
Every year tens of thousands of people face serious colon surgery to remove big polyps before they can morph into colon cancer. Many have part of thei...
How can my eating habits help control gastroparesis symptoms?
Dr. Robynne K. Chutkan, MDDr. Robynne K. Chutkan, MD
Changing your eating habits can help control gastroparesis. Your doctor or dietician may prescribe s...
Is there a cure for an obstetric fistula?
Given the right medical treatment, obstetric fistulas are quite curable. The cure for an obstetric f...
What Increases My Risk for Digestive Diseases?