How is stomach flu diagnosed?

Stomach flu is most commonly diagnosed by the symptoms and a physical examination. A doctor may request a stool sample to test for rotavirus and to confirm that the gastroenteritis is viral, not bacterial or parasitic. No test for the stomach flu caused by other viruses is currently available.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Constipated? Always Going? Signs Your Digestion Isn't Normal
Everyone's digestion is a bit different, but there are some universal indicators of a healthy system—and an unhealthy one. First, let’s review the ba...
What is functional rectal pain syndrome?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
There are two functional rectal pain syndromes. The first and most common one is called proctalgia f...
How should I prepare for my tests to diagnose digestive disease?
Your doctor will discuss preparing for diagnostic procedures with you before your test appointment. ...
Is GERD the Same Thing As Heartburn?
Is GERD the Same Thing As Heartburn?