How can a radioisotope gastric-emptying scan help diagnose gastroparesis?

A radioisotope gastric emptying scan may help diagnose gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying). For a radioisotope gastric-emptying scan you will eat food that contains a radioisotope, a slightly radioactive substance that will show up on the scan. The dose of radiation from the radioisotope is small and not dangerous. After eating, you will lie under a machine that detects the radioisotope and shows an image of the food in the stomach and how quickly it leaves the stomach. Gastroparesis is diagnosed if more than half of the food remains in the stomach after two hours.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Do I Have Celiac Disease, Gluten Sensitivity, or a Wheat Allergy?
Odds are, someone you know has gone gluten-free. Perhaps they’re trying to drop some pounds, or they simply believe it’s healthier for them. Or, maybe...
What are the symptoms of dyspepsia?
If you've ever had indigestion, then you are already familiar with the most common symptom of dyspep...
How does aging affect digestive diseases?
Older people tend to take more prescription medications than others, and can be more susceptible to ...
What Are the Treatment Options for Digestive Diseases?