How can I protect my children from digestive diseases?

One of the most important ways to protect children from digestive and other diseases is to teach them proper and frequent hand washing. Proper hand washing means using soap and water or hand sanitizer, rubbing all surfaces of the hands for 20-25 seconds. Teach your children to always wash their hands before handling or eating food, and after using the bathroom, handling pets, and handling anything questionable. If your child attends day care, make sure that the provider encourages children to wash their hands frequently, and that diaper-changing areas are kept separate from eating areas. If your child has diarrhea, keep them home from day care until they are well. Don't allow your child to eat food that needs to be kept hot or cold if the food has been left out over an hour.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Do I Have Celiac Disease, Gluten Sensitivity, or a Wheat Allergy?
Odds are, someone you know has gone gluten-free. Perhaps they’re trying to drop some pounds, or they simply believe it’s healthier for them. Or, maybe...
Are prescription medications available for an obstetric fistula?
Prescription medications are available for obstetric fistula, but they may not cure the illness. You...
Should I see a doctor for gastrointestinal tract birth defects?
If you suspect gastrointestinal tract birth defects in your child, it is important to see a doctor i...
What Are the Treatment Options for Digestive Diseases?