How can I protect my children from digestive diseases?

One of the most important ways to protect children from digestive and other diseases is to teach them proper and frequent hand washing. Proper hand washing means using soap and water or hand sanitizer, rubbing all surfaces of the hands for 20-25 seconds. Teach your children to always wash their hands before handling or eating food, and after using the bathroom, handling pets, and handling anything questionable. If your child attends day care, make sure that the provider encourages children to wash their hands frequently, and that diaper-changing areas are kept separate from eating areas. If your child has diarrhea, keep them home from day care until they are well. Don't allow your child to eat food that needs to be kept hot or cold if the food has been left out over an hour.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Digestive Diseases

Digestive diseases, also known as gastrointestinal diseases, are disorders that affect your esophagus, stomach and small and large intestines. The symptoms of digestive diseases vary widely depending on which part of your digestiv...

e system is affected. Generally symptoms can be blood in your stool, a change in bowel habits, pain, weight loss or heartburn that is not relieved by antacids. See you doctor if you have any of these signs of digestive disease.