How should I prepare for my tests to diagnose digestive disease?

Your doctor will discuss preparing for diagnostic procedures with you before your test appointment. For some endoscopies, you may need to not drink or eat for a period of time before the test, and you may need to cleanse your colon. For colonoscopy, your doctor will ask you to stop taking certain medications, to drink lots of clear fluids for one or more days before the test, and to completely clear out the large intestine. Clearing your colon may involve fasting and using laxatives or enemas.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Constipated? Always Going? Signs Your Digestion Isn't Normal
Everyone's digestion is a bit different, but there are some universal indicators of a healthy system—and an unhealthy one. First, let’s review the ba...
How do digestive diseases affect the body?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Digestive diseases interfere with digestion and other organ functions in a number of ways throughout...
What is chronic nausea?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Nausea is usually described as a queasy, sick to the stomach sensation that may progress to the feel...
What Are the Treatment Options for Digestive Diseases?