How should I prepare for my tests to diagnose digestive disease?

Your doctor will discuss preparing for diagnostic procedures with you before your test appointment. For some endoscopies, you may need to not drink or eat for a period of time before the test, and you may need to cleanse your colon. For colonoscopy, your doctor will ask you to stop taking certain medications, to drink lots of clear fluids for one or more days before the test, and to completely clear out the large intestine. Clearing your colon may involve fasting and using laxatives or enemas.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Digestive Diseases

Digestive diseases, also known as gastrointestinal diseases, are disorders that affect your esophagus, stomach and small and large intestines. The symptoms of digestive diseases vary widely depending on which part of your digestiv...

e system is affected. Generally symptoms can be blood in your stool, a change in bowel habits, pain, weight loss or heartburn that is not relieved by antacids. See you doctor if you have any of these signs of digestive disease.