How do I prepare for an upper endoscopy?

An empty stomach allows for the best and safest upper endoscopy examination, so you should have nothing to eat or drink, including water, for approximately six hours before the examination. Your doctor will tell you when you should start fasting as the timing can vary. Tell your doctor in advance about any medications you take; you might need to adjust your usual dose for the examination. Discuss any allergies to medications as well as medical conditions, such as heart or lung disease.
Here's a synopsis of the key things that you should do to prepare for an upper endoscopy, a medical procedure to visually examine the esophagus, the stomach, and part of the duodenum:
  1. Call your insurance company and ask if the endoscopy test is covered for the reason given by your doctor.
  2. Ask your insurance company if you need a referral for the upper endoscopy. If they say "yes," then you MUST get a referral from your primary care physician.
  3. Update your hospital registration.
  4. Make plans for someone to come with you to the hospital.
  5. If you take Coumadin, Plavix, or other blood thinners, please talk to the doctor who prescribed it.
  6. If you are diabetic, please talk to your doctor about how to take your medication in order to prevent low blood sugar.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Constipated? Always Going? Signs Your Digestion Isn't Normal
Everyone's digestion is a bit different, but there are some universal indicators of a healthy system—and an unhealthy one. First, let’s review the ba...
What are the symptoms of functional dyspepsia?
Lawrence S. Friedman, MDLawrence S. Friedman, MD
The Rome III criteria (diagnostic criteria for all functional gastrointestinal (GI) disorders) state...
What causes an obstetric fistula?
The main cause for an obstetric fistula is prolonged childbearing difficulty, which softens and may ...
What Increases My Risk for Digestive Diseases?