How does an obstetric fistula affect the body?

An obstetric fistula affects the body by creating an abnormal opening in your birth canal that connects your vagina to your rectum and large intestine. The opening allows pus, feces, and gas to pass through your vagina. You may also experience pain and irritation inside your vulva and vagina. Irritation and soreness between your anus and vagina and pain while having sex may occur as well. If left untreated, an obstetric fistula can also cause nerve damage to a person's legs and feet.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Constipated? Always Going? Signs Your Digestion Isn't Normal
Everyone's digestion is a bit different, but there are some universal indicators of a healthy system—and an unhealthy one. First, let’s review the ba...
What is Carney triad?
Carney triad is a very rare disorder marked by tumors of the gastrointestinal tract (usually the sto...
Does obstetric fistula limit my daily activities?
If you have obstetric fistula, you may be very limited in your activities due to lack of control of ...
What Increases My Risk for Digestive Diseases?