How long does it take to diagnose gastroparesis?

It’s a really under-diagnosed disease process. For one, the symptoms of gastroparesis can be confused with many other common diseases. When you have nausea, bloating and vomiting, doctors don’t immediately think of gastroparesis. They think it may be your gallbladder, an ulcer or just crud from the kids.

Another big reason it’s under-diagnosed is because we don’t have very good treatments for it. Anytime we have a disease that we don’t have good treatments for, doctors don’t want to make that diagnosis because they don’t have a way to help them.

Luckily, we have a lot more therapies now and we know a lot more about the disease. I think we’ll see gastroparesis diagnosed more as these therapies become well known and patients become more educated and proactive.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Good News About Difficult Colon Polyps
Good News About Difficult Colon Polyps
Every year tens of thousands of people face serious colon surgery to remove big polyps before they can morph into colon cancer. Many have part of thei...
What are the complications of obstetric fistula if untreated?
Obstetric fistula, if left untreated, can cause very serious complications. If a person does not get...
What are the causes of a mobile mass in my stomach?
Robert A. Wascher, MDRobert A. Wascher, MD
Unfortunately, there are many potential causes of a mass in the abdominal area.  In some cases, a be...
What Increases My Risk for Digestive Diseases?