How is viral gastroenteritis diagnosed?

Doctors generally diagnose viral gastroenteritis based on the symptoms and a physical examination. Your doctor may ask for a stool sample to test for rotavirus or to rule out bacteria or parasites as the cause of your symptoms. No routine tests are currently available for the other types of viruses.

This answer is based on source information from National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Constipated? Always Going? Signs Your Digestion Isn't Normal
Everyone's digestion is a bit different, but there are some universal indicators of a healthy system—and an unhealthy one. First, let’s review the ba...
What can I do to minimize odor if I have an obstetric fistula?
If you have obstetric fistula, you should not wear tight-fitting clothing, as it can make your condi...
Is an obstetric fistula serious for young girls?
Laura Corio, MDLaura Corio, MD
An obstetric fistula is very serious for a young girl. Thank goodness, in the united states we do no...
Is GERD the Same Thing As Heartburn?
Is GERD the Same Thing As Heartburn?