How can my eating habits help control gastroparesis symptoms?

Dr. Robynne K. Chutkan, MD
Gastroenterologist

Changing your eating habits can help control gastroparesis. Your doctor or dietician may prescribe six small meals daily instead of three large ones and recommend that you avoid late-night eating. With less food entering the stomach each time you eat, the symptoms are often improved. Avoiding fatty foods and high-fiber foods that are more difficult to digest will also improve symptoms.

Most people can treat gastroparesis with dietary therapy. There are certain foods that can really slow down the emptying of the stomach like caffeinated beverages and fatty foods. Also, foods high in fiber like fruits and vegetables already take a long time to empty from your stomach. This can be confusing. We generally perceive high fiber foods and fresh fruits and vegetables as healthy. These foods can actually worsen symptoms in gastroparesis patients. We recommend eating smaller meals that consist of lean meats and low-fiber starches. We treat more severe cases with liquids first since liquids empty pretty well on their own, then move on to soft foods, followed by solid foods.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Do I Have Celiac Disease, Gluten Sensitivity, or a Wheat Allergy?
Odds are, someone you know has gone gluten-free. Perhaps they’re trying to drop some pounds, or they simply believe it’s healthier for them. Or, maybe...
How is achalasia treated?
The Medical Center of AuroraThe Medical Center of Aurora
Achalasia makes it feel like food gets hung up before entering the stomach, and can be treated with ...
What is aerophagia?
Robynne K. Chutkan, MDRobynne K. Chutkan, MD
Aerophagia refers to air swallowing, which is one of the most common causes of bloating. In this vid...
What Are the Treatment Options for Digestive Diseases?