How does aging affect digestive diseases?

Older people tend to take more prescription medications than others, and can be more susceptible to digestive side effects caused by drugs. The stomach lining becomes more susceptible to damage with age, and conditions that reduce secretion of stomach acids are more common in older people. Aging is also associated with bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine, and poorer absorption of some nutrients. Levels of the enzyme lactase go down, which increases lactose intolerance. People over age 60 are likelier to have diverticulosis, a condition in which the large intestine develops pouches. The condition can become serious if the pouches become infected. However, people over age 55 are unlikely to develop irritable bowel syndrome if they have never had the disorder.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Good News About Difficult Colon Polyps
Good News About Difficult Colon Polyps
Every year tens of thousands of people face serious colon surgery to remove big polyps before they can morph into colon cancer. Many have part of thei...
Is an obstetric fistula serious for young girls?
Laura Corio, MDLaura Corio, MD
An obstetric fistula is very serious for a young girl. Thank goodness, in the united states we do no...
What causes gastroparesis?
Dr. Marc B. Sonenshine, MDDr. Marc B. Sonenshine, MD
Gastroparesis is the delayed emptying of food from the stomach into the small intestines. Contractio...
What Increases My Risk for Digestive Diseases?