How is achalasia treated?

Achalasia makes it feel like food gets hung up before entering the stomach, and can be treated with surgery.

Dr. Gary W. Falk, MD
Gastroenterologist

Achalasia is a rare motility disorder of the esophagus that can present with a variety of symptoms including difficulty swallowing, regurgitation, chest pain, heartburn and weight loss. The diagnosis of achalasia requires a high index of suspicion by the patient’s physician. The diagnosis is typically based on a combination of barium X-ray, endoscopy and esophageal manometry findings. The preferred treatment options are either pneumatic dilation or a laparoscopic Heller Myotomy. Both approaches disrupt the lower esophageal sphincter muscle which is tightened due to defective nerve transmission in this condition. A new endoscopic option known as POEMS is currently under investigation for treatment of this condition. Injection of the lower esophageal sphincter with BOTOX is an excellent option for elderly patients or those with multiple medical problems for whom surgery or pneumatic dilation is too risky.

Dr. Patricia L. Raymond, MD
Gastroenterologist

We can’t do much about the lack of movement in the body of the esophagus, but we can release the lower esophageal sphincter. Our options include dilation, injection with Botox (yep, the kind used for face wrinkles, and no, we aren’t permitted to inject any leftovers elsewhere), or surgical myomectomy. Most do well after these procedures to relax the lower esophageal sphincter.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Do I Have Celiac Disease, Gluten Sensitivity, or a Wheat Allergy?
Odds are, someone you know has gone gluten-free. Perhaps they’re trying to drop some pounds, or they simply believe it’s healthier for them. Or, maybe...
What should I know before taking antacids?
Before taking antacids you should know that antacids decrease the acidity of the acids in your stoma...
What is Carney triad?
Carney triad is a very rare disorder marked by tumors of the gastrointestinal tract (usually the sto...
What Increases My Risk for Digestive Diseases?