Should I see my doctor about my viral gastrointestinal infection symptoms?

Most viral gastrointestinal infections clear up on their own, but you should see a  doctor for severe cases. For adults, a serious case is indicated by blood in the diarrhea or vomit; vomiting for more than 24 hours,; or by signs of dehydration such as dark colored urine, weakness, dryness in the   mouth, and dizziness.

Children and infants, more susceptible to severe cases, should be monitored   closely. Take them to see a doctor if there is blood in their diarrhea or vomit; if they have been vomiting for more than 12 hours; or if they show signs of   dehydration. Infants may show additional signs of dehydration such as not being able to produce tears when they cry or having a sunken soft spot on top of their heads.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Digestive Diseases

Digestive diseases, also known as gastrointestinal diseases, are disorders that affect your esophagus, stomach and small and large intestines. The symptoms of digestive diseases vary widely depending on which part of your digestiv...

e system is affected. Generally symptoms can be blood in your stool, a change in bowel habits, pain, weight loss or heartburn that is not relieved by antacids. See you doctor if you have any of these signs of digestive disease.