Can I take my medications prior to endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS)?

You can take most medications as usual until the day of the endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS) examination. Tell your doctor about all medications that you're taking and about any allergies you have. Anticoagulant medications (blood thinners such as warfarin or heparin) and clopidogrel may need to be adjusted before the procedure. Insulin also needs to be adjusted on the day of EUS.

In general, you can safely take aspirin and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (ibuprofen, naproxen, etc.) before an EUS examination. Check with your doctor in advance regarding these recommendations. Check with your doctor about which medications you should take the morning of the EUS examination, and take only essential medications with a small sip of water. If you have an allergy to latex, you should inform your doctor prior to your test. Patients with latex allergies often require special equipment and may not be able to have a complete EUS examination.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Good News About Difficult Colon Polyps
Good News About Difficult Colon Polyps
Every year tens of thousands of people face serious colon surgery to remove big polyps before they can morph into colon cancer. Many have part of thei...
What increases my risk for an obstetric fistula?
Your risk for an obstetric fistula is increased if you experience childbearing difficulty and do not...
What causes stomach flu?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Stomach flu, also known as gastroenteritis, is usually caused by a virus, but may also be caused by ...
What Increases My Risk for Digestive Diseases?