Can gastrointestinal tract birth defects have any complications?

Untreated gastrointestinal birth defects can have serious birth defects, especially if left untreated. Untreated damaged bile ducts in the liver can lead to cirrhosis, which would require a liver transplant. If malrotations in the intestines are not treated promptly, the tissue of the intestines could be damaged or the baby could die. Other complications stop the baby from getting the nutrients they need and could lead to stunted growth.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Constipated? Always Going? Signs Your Digestion Isn't Normal
Everyone's digestion is a bit different, but there are some universal indicators of a healthy system—and an unhealthy one. First, let’s review the ba...
Should I tell my child's school about her obstetric fistula?
If you have a young daughter who has experienced difficulty in childbearing and is now diagnosed wit...
What are the symptoms of an obstetric fistula?
The most common symptoms of obstetric fistula are a foul-smelling discharge from your vagina and pas...
What Are the Treatment Options for Digestive Diseases?