Can gastrointestinal tract birth defects be diagnosed before birth?

Prenatal testing can sometimes detect birth defects before birth. And ultrasound could potentially find structural errors from gastrointestinal tract birth defects while the baby is still forming, and blood test can detect if certain women are more at risks for birth defects. Amniocentesis (A procedure in which a small sample of amniotic fluid is drawn out of the uterus through a needle inserted in the abdomen) can diagnose birth defects through a sample of the   fluid that surrounds the baby in the womb. Many gastrointestinal tract birth defects cannot be diagnosed until birth or shortly after, though.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Good News About Difficult Colon Polyps
Good News About Difficult Colon Polyps
Every year tens of thousands of people face serious colon surgery to remove big polyps before they can morph into colon cancer. Many have part of thei...
How does an obstetric fistula affect the body?
An obstetric fistula affects the body by creating an abnormal opening in your birth canal that conne...
How do digestive diseases affect men differently than women?
In men, the muscle that separates the stomach from the esophagus, called the lower esophageal sphinc...
What Increases My Risk for Digestive Diseases?