Will I need repeat esophageal dilations?

Depending on the degree and cause of narrowing of your esophagus, it is common to require repeat esophageal dilations. This allows the dilation to be performed gradually and decreases the risk of complications. Once the stricture, or narrowed esophagus, is completely dilated, repeat dilations may not be required. If the stricture was due to acid reflux, acid-suppressing medicines can decrease the risk of stricture recurrence. Your doctor will advise you on this. 

Continue Learning about Digestive Disease Treatments

How can a neurostimulator help treat gastroparesis?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Gastroparesis is a condition in which the stomach doesn't empty properly. Says UCLA gastroenterologi...
What are the treatment options for viral gastrointestinal infections?
Because of their nature, viral gastrointestinal infections cannot be treated with medication. The ke...
What can I expect after an esophageal dilation procedure?
American Society for Gastrointestinal EndoscopyAmerican Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
After the esophageal dilation procedure is done, you will probably be observed for a short perio...
Are there alternative treatments for diverticulitis?
You will probably need antibiotics to cure your diverticulitis. But you may be able to also help you...