What is strictureplasty?

Short areas of disease and narrowing caused by scar tissue are often treated with a bowel sparing procedure called strictureplasty. A strictureplasty does not remove the diseased segment of the bowel, but opens the narrowing in a way that restores flow of intestinal contents and allows nutrients to be absorbed. Sometimes, it is necessary to undergo multiple strictureplasties in a single operation if several areas of the small intestine are diseased.

Continue Learning about Digestive Disease Treatments

Will I need repeat esophageal dilations?
American Society for Gastrointestinal EndoscopyAmerican Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
Depending on the degree and cause of narrowing of your esophagus, it is common to require repeat eso...
What are the treatment options for viral gastrointestinal infections?
Because of their nature, viral gastrointestinal infections cannot be treated with medication. The ke...
What can I expect after an esophageal dilation procedure?
After the esophageal dilation procedure is done, you will probably be observed for a short perio...
What happens during a small bowel enteroscopy?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
After you check in for a small bowel enteroscopy—which allows a physician to navigate the entire sma...