What can I expect after an esophageal dilation procedure?

After the esophageal dilation procedure is done, you will probably be observed for a short period of time and then allowed to return to your normal activities. You may resume drinking when the anesthetic no longer causes numbness to your throat, unless your doctor instructs you otherwise. Most patients experience no symptoms after this procedure and can resume eating the next day, but you might experience a mild sore throat for the remainder of the day. Your doctor will advise you on eating and drinking. If you received sedatives, you probably will be monitored in a recovery area until you are ready to leave. You will not be allowed to drive after the procedure even though you might not feel tired. You should arrange for someone to accompany you home, because the sedatives might affect your judgment and reflexes for the rest of the day.

Continue Learning about Digestive Disease Treatments

How can a neurostimulator help treat gastroparesis?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Gastroparesis is a condition in which the stomach doesn't empty properly. Says UCLA gastroenterologi...
How can I treat gastrointestinal problems caused by scleroderma?
Heather McDougall, MDHeather McDougall, MD
Gastrointestinal involvement in scleroderma consists of a variety of symptoms that include nausea, v...
What happens during a small bowel enteroscopy?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
After you check in for a small bowel enteroscopy—which allows a physician to navigate the entire sma...
How can I manage leaky gut syndrome?
Carmen Patrick Mohan, MDCarmen Patrick Mohan, MD
"Leaky gut syndrome" is not a recognized diagnosis within the scientific community.  Providers of co...