Why is yo-yo dieting harmful to the heart?

One study found that women who were yo-yo dieters (also called weight cycling) -- especially if it occurred five or more times during their life -- had a great risk of heart disease beginning shortly after menopause. The researchers believe that the link between weight cycling and heart disease involves the cells that line the blood vessels called endothelial cells. When people gain and lose weight repeatedly, these cells become damaged so blood can’t flow freely. When blood flow to the heart becomes restricted, the stage is set for heart attack and stroke.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Dieting For Weight Loss

Welcome to the Mindful Eating Zone
Welcome to the Mindful Eating Zone
In 1960, Rod Serling introduced his TV show by saying: “You are about to enter another dimension. A dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind...
How can oranges and avocados help me reduce belly fat?
In Italy, there’s a saying: “What grows together goes together.” In my book, citrus and avocados are...
5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer
5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer
How to make healthier choices, even at BBQs, pool parties and beach vacations.
Dr. Oz’s 3-Day Water Pill Experiment
Dr. Oz’s 3-Day Water Pill Experiment