Why should I drink more water if I want to lose weight?

Dr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Integrative Medicine

Water is necessary for extracting nutrients from our food. It is crucial for proper brain and nervous system function, it keeps us from getting constipated and helps the body break down fat more efficiently. In fact, increasing water consumption has helped people lose 30 or more pounds of fat without even dieting. Many health conditions such as arthritis, asthma, depression and back pain are also helped by this "miracle cure." Often when you feel a hunger pang or heartburn, your body is really crying out for water. Your brain feels starved for energy and its alert system sends out a signal that you interpret as hunger even when the brain needs only water. In other words, hunger is often a common signal that the brain needs hydroelectric energy from water.

We don't really feel thirsty until dehydration has already set in. So if you would drink one or two tall glasses of water in between meals, you'll find that you are satisfied longer and do a lot less between-meal snacking. By drinking a minimum of 8 ounces of water with each meal you will cut down on your overall consumption and will allow the nutrients in the food to be extracted better.

Continue Learning about Dieting For Weight Loss

Weight Loss Secret: Adventurous Eating
Weight Loss Secret: Adventurous Eating
Here’s a great way to have more food-fun every day—and lose weight at the same time. Ditch the tired oldies in recipes that you and your family have g...
As a veteran, how can I diet and stay on a budget?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
You don’t have to spend a lot to eat healthy and lose weight. Make sure you plan your weekly meals i...
5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer
5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer
How to make healthier choices, even at BBQs, pool parties and beach vacations.
Naturally Suppress Cravings With the Dopamine Diet, Pt 3