Why do people diet even though chances of success are low?

"Dieting" (which rarely works in the long term by the way) can give a person struggling with weight issues a sense of "control" in the short term (eat this...not that at this time of day in this quantitity etc etc.).  Few people want to take on the much larger issue of WHY they eat the way they do and make lifestyle changes that are permanent.  In addition, dieting claims often promise quick results and diets are often undertaken in an attempt to get into shape for an event (wedding, party, reunion), rather than to make a meaningful and sustainable switch. In fact, there is support for the fact that dieting is one of the leading contributors to the development of eating disorders.  Diets can feel "hopeful" and controllable - sadly they often just result in odd rules and rituals around food that are unsustainable, frustration, and the onset of a cycle of yo-yo dieting that harms metabolism even more and makes it even more difficult to lose weight down the line. 

Continue Learning about Dieting For Weight Loss

How to Choose the Best Diet
How to Choose the Best Diet
Feel like you've done a speed-dating experiment with every diet on the books? It might be time to think about settling down with the right one. Which...
Should I eliminate any food groups when I’m dieting?
Michaela BallmannMichaela Ballmann
Absolutely not! Any diets that eliminate entire food groups can lead to nutritional deficiencies aft...
5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer
5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer
How to make healthier choices, even at BBQs, pool parties and beach vacations.
How Should I Record What I Eat If I Want to Lose Weight?