Who can benefit from intermittent fasting (IF)?

A stable diet consisting of quality foods, with intake based on hunger cues, is always recommended. However, the what, why, when and how of eating is different for everyone. So if you wanted to try fasting as a way to lower calorie intake, then it might be a strategy worth trying.

Intermittent fasting (IF) is recommended when you’ve lost your hunger. It’s easy in the American culture of food availability and glorification of “busy” to stop eating for hunger and start eating for a bunch of other reasons: You eat breakfast because it’s 8 a.m. and you need to leave for work; you eat lunch because your coworkers are all going out at noon; you eat a snack at 4 p.m. because you’re bored … and so on.

If this sounds like you, a week or two of IF might help reset your awareness of hunger and recognize the difference between actual hunger and other types of hunger.

Continue Learning about Dieting For Weight Loss

Welcome to the Mindful Eating Zone
Welcome to the Mindful Eating Zone
In 1960, Rod Serling introduced his TV show by saying: “You are about to enter another dimension. A dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind...
Why should I plan what I'm going to eat on my diet?
Planning ahead is key to losing those extra pounds. In this video, Dr. Oz and Dr. Roizen explain...
5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer
5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer
How to make healthier choices, even at BBQs, pool parties and beach vacations.
How Should I Choose a Diet Plan?
How Should I Choose a Diet Plan?