Is intermittent fasting (IF) based on science?

Intermittent fasting (IF) is based on ancient history, not contemporary science. IF first reached the mainstream around 2003, when the book, The Warrior Diet, was published. The Warrior Diet basically prescribed fasting all day and eating one large meal at night because this is what its creator claims that paleolithic man and Roman soldiers did.

While studies of IF have yielded positive findings, these were conducted in animals -- mostly mice, rats and fur seals. These studies have not been replicated on a large scale in humans.

Continue Learning about Dieting For Weight Loss

Nudge Yourself Into Healthier Eating and Weight Loss
Around 45 million people in the U.S. are on a weight-loss diet right now—and have been more than once. And that can be draining physically, emotionall...
Why should I avoid reduced-fat foods if I'm trying to lose weight?
Fat is one of the things that makes food taste good. When fat is removed from foods, a lot of th...
5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer
5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer
How to make healthier choices, even at BBQs, pool parties and beach vacations.
Do Fat-Free Foods Really Help with Weight Loss?