How can cutting too many calories prevent me from losing weight?

It may seem counterintuitive, but cutting too many calories from your diet can be bad for your waistline. Because 3,500 calories equals about 1 pound of fat, you would need to cut 3,500 calories out of your diet each week to lose 1 pound a week. In order to do this, you’d have to cut 500 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week.

The problem with severely restricting diets, however, is that they jolt your body into “starvation mode,” preventing your body from burning unwanted fat. This mechanism, which is thought to have evolved as a defense against starvation, helps the body make the most of the calories it gets from food and drink; the body, in order to keep functioning, then looks to get some of it calories from lean muscle. This results in muscle loss. Less muscle means a slower metabolic rate -- and in this case, stalled weight loss.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Dieting For Weight Loss

Is That Obesity Calling? Or the Smartphone Diet
Actress Emma Watson (Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter series) compares her social media use to counting calories. “It’s so important to keep an ey...
Can I take a break from my diet?
Kulreet Chaudhary, MDKulreet Chaudhary, MD
Every healthy relationship requires some time away from each other and so does every healthy die...
5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer
5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer
How to make healthier choices, even at BBQs, pool parties and beach vacations.
Healthy Friends Help You Eat Right
Healthy Friends Help You Eat Right