How can I overcome the mistakes in weight-loss plan?

Judith Beck, PhD
Psychiatry
If you make a dieting mistake during the day, remind yourself, “I haven’t blown it. It’s not the end of the world. Start following my plan again RIGHT NOW and stop it at one mistake, don’t turn it into more. It’s a million times better to stop now than to allow myself to eat more.”
If you've ever ridden in a car with a GPS satellite navigation system, you know how it works. Plug in your destination, and the system—using satellites to plot your current and final points—tells you exactly what to do when. Turn left in 400 feet. Stay straight. Get in right lane. But let's say you make a mistake and miss a turn. The GPS doesn't berate you, doesn't scold you, doesn't tell you that you might as well drive off a cliff since you made a mistake and missed First Avenue.

Instead, all it says, very politely, is this: "At the next available moment, make an authorized U-Turn." The GPS recognizes the mistake matter-of-factly and simply wants you to get back on the right road. The GPS allows for mistakes—and tries to help you correct them.

That's the kind of mentality I want you to have. You're going to make wrong turns. You're going to turn left at the hot dogs, make a right at the blueberry pie, and occasionally merge onto the interstate of banana-nut pancakes. Does that mean you should into the fatty crevasse of destructive eating? Of course not.

What it means is that you need to pay closer attention to the road signs and the instructions about how to make it to your final destination. It also means that you can't beat yourself up with a basket of croissants every time you lick a little whipped cream off your finger. Instead of falling into the avoidant and defeatist mentality by drop-kicking healthy eating the moment you make one bad choice, you confront it by repeating this mantra:"At the next available moment, make an authorized YOU-turn."Then get back on the right road.

What kills any regimen of healthy eating isn't the occasional dessert or slice of pizza; it's the cascade of behavior that happens after the initial indulgence.
YOU: On A Diet Revised Edition: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management

For the first time in our history, scientists are uncovering astounding medical evidence about dieting -- and why so many of us struggle with our weight and the size of our waists. Now researchers...

Continue Learning about Dieting For Weight Loss

Make Low-Carb Healthier with This Switch
Here's what worked with the low-carb Atkins diet: Lots of people lost loads of pounds. And here's what didn't work: It gave cardiologists the shivers....
Should I punish myself when I go off my diet?
John C. Norcross, PhDJohn C. Norcross, PhD
A complicated question. Psychologists prefer not to use punishment frequently because of nasty and u...
5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer
5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer
How to make healthier choices, even at BBQs, pool parties and beach vacations.
Lose Weight on the Day-Off Diet With MUFAs