Can high glycemic foods make me gain weight?

The glycemic index is a ranking of a food’s ability to contribute glucose to the blood stream. It challenges the assumption that absorption rate is related to the length of the carbohydrate molecule. In other words, it seems that long starch molecules should take longer to digest than short sugar molecules – but this is not always the case. Certain starches actually raise your blood sugar as high as sugars. In fact, there are some starches (highly processed carbohydrates like white flour, white rice, and some others) that raise blood sugar even higher than some sugars. That’s said, the relationship with weight gain is more difficult to establish. Low glycemic foods may contribute to the feeling of satiety (fullness) and may help us eat less. Also high glycemic foods are often highly processed, nutrient poor foods that we don’t really need to eat. Yet another good reason to choose minimally processed whole grains, fruits and vegetables as our carbohydrate sources.

Continue Learning about Dieting For Weight Loss

Eating Your Meal Too Quickly Can Lead to Weight Gain
If you want to truly enjoy your meal, remember to chew your food and savor every bite. This mindful eating technique will not only help you digest you...
Is dieting pointless if my whole family is overweight?
John C. Norcross, PhDJohn C. Norcross, PhD
This is a prevalent brain-based misconception about change, and it’s an unfortunate side effect ...
5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer
5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer
How to make healthier choices, even at BBQs, pool parties and beach vacations.
How Can I Eat Healthy at a Mexican Restaurant?