Are there foods I shouldn't eat if I want to lose weight?

Laura Katleman-Prue
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

Here is a list of many unhealthy pleasure foods that can keep you struggling with your health and weight:

• Foods made with sugar and/or chocolate: Bakery goods, ice cream, candy, chocolates, soft drinks, milkshakes
  • Salty fried foods: Potato chips, French fries
  • Salty foods: Pretzels, popcorn
  • Starchy foods: Pancakes, waffles, bread
  • Salty fatty foods: Butter, cheese, nuts, hotdogs
  • Fatty starchy foods: Pizza, quesadillas
Skinny Thinking: Five Revolutionary Steps to Permanently Heal Your Relationship With Food, Weight, and Your Body

READY TO END YOUR FOOD and WEIGHT WORRIES? If so, Skinny Thinking is for you. The only way to create a healthy relationship with food and stop battling with your weight is to change the way you think...
Rose Reisman
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

Today we are warned about forbidden foods that should be eliminated from our diet if we want to lose weight. But many are actually incredibly healthy for us.

• Bread, pasta, and potatoes are excellent sources of complex carbs that your brain needs to produce serotonin, which prevents cravings and hunger.
  • Peanut butter is rich in healthy fats that keep us full longer, promoting calorie burn.
  • Fruit, lately known as the “forbidden fruit,” soothes our sweet tooth naturally. It’s high in fiber and low in calories, and contains natural sugar fructose but won’t raise your blood sugar levels like table sugar if eaten in moderation
  • Dark chocolate, 70% cocoa and higher, satisfies chocoholic cravings and prevents bingeing. Studies show that those avoiding chocolate ended up eating two-thirds more than those told to eat in moderation

So go ahead and eat from the forbidden tree to stay healthy and satisfied.

Robert DeVito
Fitness Specialist

Based on the First Law of Thermodynamics there are no "fattening" or "fat burning" foods. This means that ALL foods can be incorporated into a meal plan. Some foods would act as staples, others as occasional and yet others as rarities. No food (barring any medical necessity) should be forbidden. You can eat anything that you want to. You just cannot eat everything that you want, whenever you want. With this said, there are no fattening foods but there are Healthy and UNHealthy foods.

I categorize foods into:

Calorically cheap foods that are unhealthy

• Low calorie (LITE) Snacks
  • Most 100 Calorie Treats
  • Low Sugar Fruit Juices
  • Lite Spreads
  • Most Granola Bars

Calorically cheap foods that are healthy

• Lite breads (whole/Multi grain, High Fiber, High Pro)
  • Sweet Potatoes/Yams, Brown Rice, Oatmeal/ Oat Bread
  • Whole Wheat pasta
  • Sauces – Marinara, Fra Diavolo, Tomato
  • Chicken (skinless breast)
  • Low fat/salt ham, Turkey (fresh roast)
  • Low fat cheeses (cottage)
  • Eye round roast beef, Buffalo (ground or steak), Ostrich
  • Pork tenderloin and center-cut boneless chops
  • Cod, Pollack, Haddock, Orange Ruffy, Tilapia

Calorically expensive foods that are healthy

• Nuts (all types), Olive Oil, Avocados
  • 2% cottage cheese
  • Salmon (omega 3’s)
  • Dried Fruit

Calorically expensive and unhealthy foods to avoid

• Baked goods such as cookies, crackers, cakes, etc.
  • Margarine or partially hydrogenated oils
  • Fried/sautéed foods
  • 90% or below Ground Meat or when ordered out
  • Cream soups/sauces (white or pink)
  • Sauce – Puttanesca, Marsala, Piccata
  • Pastry products/cakes
  • Most Deli Meats - Salami, bologna, pepperoni, etc.
  • Mayonnaise based salads

If you eat more of the Calorically Cheap and Healthy Foods and Less of the Calorically Expensive Foods that Are Unhealthy you will be well on your way to success.

Adapted from 90 Days to a New You.

Continue Learning about Dieting For Weight Loss

The Dangers of Yo-Yo Dieting
The Dangers of Yo-Yo Dieting
Yo-yo dieting is a recent phenomenon and, it turns out, a dangerous one. Researchers tracked 158,063 postmenopausal women over 11.4 years and found wo...
Why should I plan what I'm going to eat on my diet?
Planning ahead is key to losing those extra pounds. In this video, Dr. Oz and Dr. Roizen explain...
5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer
5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer
How to make healthier choices, even at BBQs, pool parties and beach vacations.
The Difference Between a Feasting and a Fasting Body