How does yogurt promote intestinal health?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine
Yogurt containing live active cultures has been demonstrated to help maintain the normal intestinal micro flora balance and suppress harmful bacteria in the intestine. Yogurt can aid in the treatment and prevention of antibiotic associated diarrhea, traveler's diarrhea, and acute diarrhea in children.

Lactobacillus acidophilus has been shown to protect against stomach ulcers by suppressing the growth of Helicobacter pylori, a known ulcer-causing bacterium.
Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

What's a Detox Supplement—and Does It Work?
“Toxins.” These shapeless, typically unnamed evils are said to exist everywhere and make us sick, giving rise to a booming industry of detox supplemen...
What is the difference between OTC supplements and drugs?
One major difference between over-the-counter supplements and drugs is how they're regulated and...
How can I choose quality herbal supplements?
Tod Cooperman, MDTod Cooperman, MD
There is a lot to check before you purchase (and swallow) an herbal supplement; unfortunately, you c...
How Do I Correct Hormonal Deficiencies with Nutritional Supplements?