How does yogurt help with lactose digestion?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

A number of studies have demonstrated that intake of yogurt enhances lactose digestion in individuals with low intestinal levels of lactase, the enzyme necessary to digest lactose. The lower lactose content of some cultured dairy foods compared to that of milk may contribute to the beneficial effect of these foods for individuals who have difficulty digesting lactose. The beneficial effect may also be explained by the ability of the starter cultures used in the manufacture of yogurt with live, active cultures to produce the enzyme lactase, which digests the lactose in yogurt.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Don’t Take Supplements Without Doing This First
Think “all natural” means “perfectly safe”? That’s not always the case, at least when it comes to vitamins and supplements. In 2015, a study by the Ce...
How does yogurt promote intestinal health?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Yogurt containing live active cultures has been demonstrated to help maintain the normal intestinal ...
How can I ensure the quality of my vitamins or supplements?
Tod Cooperman, MDTod Cooperman, MD
To ensure the quality of your vitamins or supplements, there is a home test you can try, you can loo...
How Can I Be Sure the Supplements I Buy Are Safe?