Who should use bifidobacteria?

People who want to support or improve the functioning of their digestive systems should talk to their doctors about bifidobacteria. Bifidobacteria are good-for-you bacteria that normally live in the intestines -- but can also be obtained through supplements and certain fermented foods, like yogurt.

Adults may want to consider eating foods rich in bifidobacteria or trying a supplement if they have diarrhea from taking antibiotics or from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). This kind of bacteria may also help relieve diarrhea in kids and a skin condition in infants called atopic eczema.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

The Importance of Supplement Safety
The Importance of Supplement Safety
In 2002, the two-year-old daughter of Jude Law attended a children’s party at London’s Soho House Club. It was reported that while there, she swallowe...
What are "live active cultures" in yogurt?
Samantha Heller, RDSamantha Heller, RD
Live active cultures are the good bacteria, or probiotics, in yogurt that keep your immune system wo...
Is there a certain schedule in taking supplements?
dotFITdotFIT
Basically, you would follow the directions on each container assuming they are accurate in having yo...
How Do I Know If I Need a Supplement?
How Do I Know If I Need a Supplement?