Who should use spirulina?

Spirulina supplements are intended for people who would like to supplement their normal diet with additional protein, beta-carotene, phycocyanin, B-complex vitamins, chlorophyll, vitamin E and various minerals. It has also be used to treat certain medical conditions, such as nasal allergies, arsenic poisoning, diabetes, eye disorders, malnutrition, high cholesterol, weight loss and pre-cancerous mouth sores. However, it is important to make sure that if you want to take it for a medical condition; you speak to your doctor first to make sure that there is not a more appropriate treatment. Spirulina has not been proven effective in treating any medical conditions as of this point.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

What's a Detox Supplement—and Does It Work?
“Toxins.” These shapeless, typically unnamed evils are said to exist everywhere and make us sick, giving rise to a booming industry of detox supplemen...
What supplements should women over 40 take?
Women over 40 need to increase their supplement intake to make up for common deficiencies such as lo...
What should I look for when buying supplements?
Rebecca S. ReevesRebecca S. Reeves
The FDA requires manufacturers of dietary supplements to provide the following information on produc...
How Can I Shop for Reputable Brands of Vitamins and Supplements?