What should I watch for if I take creatine?

Side effects of creatine include stomach pain, nausea, diarrhea and muscle cramping. Creatine makes your muscles draw -- and retain -- water from other parts of your body. This is not the same thing as building muscle, but it may make you gain weight. It can also put you at risk for becoming dehydrated, so be sure to drink extra water, and don't exercise in the heat.

With those caveats, creatine is probably safe for most people when used at recommended doses. (These vary according to the reasons you're using it, so check with your doctor.) But scientists don’t know as much about creatine as they would like, and for safety's sake, they warn that you should not use creatine when you're pregnant or breast-feeding or if you have kidney disease or a condition that puts you at risk for kidney disease. Some also worry that creatine may cause irregular heartbeat or an unpleasant skin condition or -- if you take it along with caffeine and ephedra -- that it may even increase your chance of having a stroke. There is concern, too, that high doses of creatine could damage the function of your kidneys, liver or heart.

Because creatine may be hard on the kidneys, it may be unwise to use it if you also take any medications that can themselves do damage to the kidneys, such as cyclosporine, gentamicin and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Unapproved Prescription Drugs Sold in Supplements
When major league baseball suspended Alex Rodriguez for using performance-enhancing steroids, they also cleaned up clubhouses across the country. Too ...
How should goat's milk be stored?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Goat's milk can sour quickly if not refrigerated. Do not store goat's milk in the refrigerator door,...
How effective is evening primrose oil?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Evening primrose oil increases the levels of an essential fatty acid in the body, which would be low...
How Do I Correct Hormonal Deficiencies with Nutritional Supplements?