What supplements can help keep my brain active?

As you age, the brain gets less active. We've seen this in a study with 8,000 patients. You don't want your brain to get less active, and certain kinds of nutrients can help.
  • A multivitamin. Our food supply has been processed to the point where we have removed many of the nutrients. Plus, 91% of Americans do not eat five servings of fruits and vegetables a day -- the minimum required to get the nutrition that you need -- so I think everyone should take a multivitamin.
  • Omega-3 fatty acids. As a society, we tend to be low in omega-3 fatty acids. This deficiency is associated with heart disease, cancer, skin problems, diabetes, obesity, depression and dementia. So I recommend that my patients take fish oil supplements.
  • Vitamin D. Our vitamin D levels are low. More than two-thirds of our patients are getting their vitamin D levels checked and optimized. It is critical.
  • Ginkgo Biloba. When I started doing single-photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) imaging, I started taking ginkgo, because the prettiest brains I saw took ginkgo.
Kristen Walsh, International Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Dietary Supplements

Whether you're visiting the drug store, grocery or natural food shop you'll likely find an aisle where there are jars and bottles of things for you to put in your body that are neither foods nor medicines. Ranging from vitamins an...

d minerals to fiber and herbal remedies, these supplements are not regulated in the same way as either food or medicine. Some of them are backed by solid research, others are folk remedies or proprietary cures. If your diet does not include enough of certain vitamins or minerals, a supplement may be a good idea. Natural treatment for conditions like constipation may be effective. But because these substances are unregulated, it is always a good idea to educate yourself about the products and to use common sense when taking them. This is even more true if you are pregnant or taking a medicine that may be affected by supplements.