What herbal remedies and supplements should I avoid?

While hundreds of herbs and supplements have been purported to help you lose weight, many of them have not been studied well enough to support those claims and are not regulated by the FDA. Safety can be an issue -- as was the case with ephedra, which helped people lose weight through adrenaline-like action, but put people at risk of heart attacks. Here are some common herbal remedies and why they may not be all they're supposed to be, which is why you shouldn't put your weight-loss faith in any of them:
  • Calcium: It's been touted as an ingredient that speeds weight loss. Studies have shown that those with low calcium are more likely to gain weight and be overweight. But the people who lost weight with increased calcium were also on short-term, calorie-restricted diets, so the weight loss was more predictable than an Oscar winner's speech.
  • Bitter orange: It's been shown to decrease weight, but has the same side effects as ephedra, such as increasing heart rate and blood pressure.
  • Chitosan: It's extracted from the shells of shellfish, and the theory is that it works a little like some weight-loss drugs, by blocking fat absorption in your body. But studies show that it doesn't lead to weight loss.
YOU: On A Diet Revised Edition: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management

For the first time in our history, scientists are uncovering astounding medical evidence about dieting -- and why so many of us struggle with our weight and the size of our waists. Now researchers...

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Don’t Take Supplements Without Doing This First
Think “all natural” means “perfectly safe”? That’s not always the case, at least when it comes to vitamins and supplements. In 2015, a study by the Ce...
What is whipping cream?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Light whipping cream (also called whipping cream) is cream that contains not less than 30 percent an...
What are chromium picolinate's side effects?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Like any product touting improved health (or most medications of any kind, for that matter) chromium...
What Should I Beware of Before Buying Vitamins and Supplements?