What should I look for in a high-quality probiotic?

Roshini C. Rajapaksa, MD
Gastroenterology
When looking for a high-quality probiotic, you should talk to your doctor to ensure you are getting one that will be most effective for you. In this video, I will explain why conferring with your doctor is your best bet.
When you’re shopping for a high-quality probiotic supplement, which provides "good-for-you" bacteria that help with digestion, you'll need to rely primarily on information from the manufacturer.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not require probiotics pills -- or any dietary supplement -- to be screened for safety and efficacy before going on the market. Rather, it is up to the manufacturer to make sure that the health claims are backed by evidence and that the products are safe.

Start getting to know the manufacturer by looking for a website. If you have any questions about how it manufactures the probiotic supplements, or about the evidence it’s using to make health claims, contact the company.

Many probiotics contain the beneficial bacteria Lactobacilli and Bifidobacteria. You may want to check to see if they are in the probiotic you are considering. Are there other bacteria, and if so, why did the manufacturer put them in there? You can also ask the manufacturer if they have reported any adverse health effects from the supplement to the FDA.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Don’t Take Supplements Without Doing This First
Think “all natural” means “perfectly safe”? That’s not always the case, at least when it comes to vitamins and supplements. In 2015, a study by the Ce...
How can I ensure the quality of my vitamins or supplements?
Tod Cooperman, MDTod Cooperman, MD
To ensure the quality of your vitamins or supplements, there is a home test you can try, you can loo...
Why doesn't the Federal Drug Administration regulate herbs?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
In short, the Federal Drug Administration does not regulate herbs because the herbal ingredients fou...
Can Dietary Supplements Be Dangerous?
Can Dietary Supplements Be Dangerous?