What is spirulina?

It is used orally for weight loss, oral leukoplakia (patches on the tongue, in the mouth, or on the inside of the cheek that occur in response to long-term irritation), and obstetric and gynecological disorders. Blue-green algae is also used for attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), premenstrual syndrome (PMS), allergic rhinitis, diabetes, stimulating the immune system, stress, fatigue, anxiety, depression, improving memory, increasing energy and metabolism, lowering cholesterol, decreasing cardiovascular disease, wound healing, blepharospasm (abnormal, involuntary blinking or spasm of the eyelids), and for promoting digestion and bowel health. However, the supporting science to back these claims is very weak or non-existent. According to the U.S. National Institutes of Health, at present there is insufficient scientific evidence to recommend spirulina supplementation for any human condition, and more research is needed to clarify its benefits, if any. For weight loss products and services information go to our profile page: http://www.sharecare.com/group/dotfit

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Don’t Take Supplements Without Doing This First
Think “all natural” means “perfectly safe”? That’s not always the case, at least when it comes to vitamins and supplements. In 2015, a study by the Ce...
Do mood-boosting nutritional supplements have side effects?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Supplements can and do interact with prescription medication and create serious problems. It's impor...
Which best prevents colds: vitamin C, echinacea or larch arabinogalactan?
Vitamin C and echinacea are both popular supplements. However, medical research has found little ben...
How Do I Know If I Need a Supplement?
How Do I Know If I Need a Supplement?