What is sour cream?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Sour cream or cultured sour cream results from the culturing of pasteurized cream with Streptococcus lactis until the acidity is at least 0.5 percent, calculated as lactic acid. Rennet extract also may be added in small quantities to produce a thicker-bodied product. Cultured sour cream must contain not less than 18 percent milk fat (unless nutritive sweeteners are added, in which case not less than 14.4 percent milk fat must be present). Sour cream is white, thick enough to be spooned out of a container, and has a sharp, sour flavor.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

News: More Than 700 Supplements Tainted With Prescription Drugs
Half of all US adults take dietary supplements, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, believing these pills, powders and drinks...
How can I ensure the quality of my vitamins or supplements?
Tod Cooperman, MDTod Cooperman, MD
To ensure the quality of your vitamins or supplements, there is a home test you can try, you can loo...
How does conventional medicine perceive nutritional supplements?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
I believe there is a bias in conventional medicine against nutritional supplements. Part of the reas...
What Should I Beware of Before Buying Vitamins and Supplements?