What is silymarin used for?

There are many uses for silymarin. The most common use of silymarin is for the treatment of liver problems. In addition there is some evidence that this supplement may be beneficial in treating death cap (or Amanita) mushroom poisoning. Other uses have not been studied, but many people advocate this herb for gall bladder, appetite, and stomach problems, as well as treatment of elevated cholesterol, diabetes, and prostate, cervical, and breast cancer. The use for and benefits of silymarin for treating these conditions have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

The Importance of Supplement Safety
The Importance of Supplement Safety
In 2002, the two-year-old daughter of Jude Law attended a children’s party at London’s Soho House Club. It was reported that while there, she swallowe...
Should I tell my cardiologist that I take a CoQ10 supplement?
Dr. Richard T. Leshner, DODr. Richard T. Leshner, DO
You should tell your cardiologist that you take a coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) supplement. CoQ10 may be used...
When should I take supplements?
Consider supplements as a smart choice if they have the right doses of nutrients and if it's hard to...
What Supplements Strengthen Hair?
What Supplements Strengthen Hair?